KML Carpenters JATC COVID -19 REOPENING
When COVID -19 Pandemic hit the country in March the Training center closed the doors for training until further notice.
The date was March 16, 2020.
We were in uncharted territory due to this pandemic.
Question arose immediately such as when we are reopening, what steps will need to be taken moving forward.
Our training center staff was laid off and the process began on how to continue to train our Members.
We began research the known facts of this virus.
Using CDC guidelines, WHO, PA Department of Health, Contractor Associations, and several other resources a reopening plan began to emerge.
Working in Collaboration with the Training Directors in the EASRCC and Training Directors from Eastern District Conference the groundwork for reopening plans began for all Training Centers within the District.
After several weeks and developing COVID-19 protocols our staff returned to the Training Centers to prepare the Training Centers for reopening.
When the Wolf Administration allowed us to reopen, we were prepared.
- The steps taken to allow us to reopen are currently still in place and some examples are as follows,
- Implemented a Covid -19 Social Distancing Officer.
- All Staff/Apprentices/ Members must have UBC Covid Awareness.
- Anyone entering building is temperature checked and quizzed.
- There are different start times to maintain social distance requirements.
- Stair towers are one way to avoid choke points.
- Breaks/lunch are staggered up to four different times.
- Class size are limited.
- Utilizing space within the training center as classrooms, examples are shop, garage bays, conference rooms etc.
- Sanitizing and cleaning as required.
- Masks worn and social distancing maintained.
We are continuing Skill enhancement classes using same guidelines as noted above.
Our skill enhancement class schedule is posted at KMLTF.org
Additionally, classes are held upon Contractor request.
We are in our 19th week of in person training since reopening.
Very challenging times for all parties involved, we have stepped up to the challenge and are continually moving forward.
Currently working towards virtual training for some classes for our members.